Friday, April 6, 2012

Spring Break-y

We have a bad record with spring break.  We wait and wait until C's travel plans come together, and, in full disclosure, I'm finally motivated to plan it.  Last year worked out beautifully, by chance.  We shared a beach-front Florida condo with my sister (thanks to my sister's dear friends who gave us the stay gratis).  It was amazing.

Early morning Florida beach happiness.  2011.

This year was not quite as auspicious.  We waited until the bitter end and then tried to use mileage and companion fares to go south.  Not so much.  Also this year we've bought a new car, a new roof, and are preparing to buy a new bathroom.  Sometimes I dislike being an adult.  New roof?  I object.

Plus, we somehow dodged the bone-chilling cold that settles in the upper Midwest for about, oh, 5 months from November-April.  It just wasn't that bad.  "Get me the hell out of here," was so 2011.  This year it was more, "Maybe let's find someplace fun that none of us has visited."  

So I started a search of places within a days' drive where there would be attractions for both kids and adults.  DEAR GOD we went to Niagara Falls.  Although it's not the Roman Aqueducts we visited in September, Niagara is still an engineer's dream.  So Carter was good.  As for the boys, we got upgraded to a suite with a hot tub within the living room (boys' room).  So H. got to sit in a hot tub whilst watching Sponge Bob.  He thought he was the coolest kid in the world.  

Our hotel was also connected to a 4-acre water park.  Monday I was awoken with poke...poke, "Hey Mom, MOM.  MOM?  Can we go to the waterpark now?  MOM?  HEY MOM?  MOM?  Can we go to the waterpark NOW?  MOM?" It was 7:00 a.m.  The waterpark did not open until 10:00 a.m.   So I replied, "Child, do you SEE the lump at the other end of this king-size bed?  That would be your father.   Your father gets to sleep in hotels like this about four nights per week.  Please defer all further questions to the lump."  

Spring Break 2012  - not at the beach.

The boys maybe loved that water park more than going to the ocean.  I'm nearly convinced, however, that we could've traveled about 20 minutes northeast of our home, checked into the nearest Holidome (remember with the chlorine that burned your eyes even you weren't in the pool) and they would've been equally happy.  That's the beauty of six.  They don't stay that dumb innocent for long, I reckon.

Carter calls family travel a 'trip' instead of a vacation.  It's getting easier all the time but I still have to agree.  One thing we did on our trip was eat a lot of bad food.  And we didn't even go to McDonald's once.  No, I'm talking about the family restaurants --  the Ruby Tuesday's, the Chili's, the Romano's Macaroni Grill and the like.  In much the same way my Superbowl Sunday is synonymous with that horrible Velveeta queso dip (which is soooo good), trips, to me, equal, "I'll have the onion rings with that."  Ugh.

Since we've been back I've been trying to eat and serve foods in more their natural state.**  And without cheese sauce.  Oven dried tomatoes fit the bill.  Take a pint of regular grape tomatoes, toss with a little olive oil place on a sheet pan and roast in a 250 degree oven for 2-3 hours.  What happens is transformative.  They become intensely sweet and totally addictive.

Post-roast.  

For a quick dinner I sauteed these tomatoes with a little asparagus and white wine and served over a little pasta.  These tomatoes on a baguette with goat cheese?  Lunch is served.   

 "Look at that amazing feat of Engineering!"  They totally wanted to go watch Sponge Bob.

So many pieces of Canadian flair.

Back to school Monday.  Time flies when you're on a trip.  

**Until Sunday when I have my annual date with every flavor of Jelly Belly jellybeans except Buttered Popcorn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment