Sunday, April 15, 2012

Blame the Kardashians. And Best Coffee Cake.

Carter has taken to blaming the world's problems on the Kardashians.  Kim, in particular.  I count myself among the zillions who want an explanation as to why they're famous, but he takes it a step further.  Republican presidential candidates?  European debt crisis?  Taliban?  He blames the Kardashians for all of it.  It's hard, yet funny, to watch the news with him because he just shakes his head and mutters, "Kardashian" after every segment.  


Have you seen this?  The SNL Kardashians are almost as good as Bill Hader cracking himself up as Stefon.  


Anyway, the coffee cake my friend Lena brought over on Easter is the Anti-Kardashian.  We made it for the first time this weekend and I can say with certainty it's going to be a regular in the rotation.



Easiest Coffee Cake
1/2 c brown sugar
1 c sugar
2/3 c butter

Cream above ingredients

Add 2 beaten eggs

In a separate bowl sift together:
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon

Alternate adding dry ingredients and 1 cup plain yogurt to butter/ sugar mixture

Pour in a greased 9x13 pan
Batter - thick but don't be alarmed.


Topping:
1/2 c brown sugar
3/4 c chopped pecans
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 



With crumbly topping.  Who doesn't love a crumbly topping?

Sprinkle topping over batter, cover and refrigerate overnight .

Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.


My dainty portion.  One of several dainty portions.


So that's the recipe from Lena.  Here are my confessions:  I didn't sift the dry ingredients because I gave my flour sifter to Goodwill, and I didn't alternate the dry ingredients with the yogurt because it all gets mixed together in the end anyway.  I also used Greek Yogurt because it was all we had.  I think it turned out jussssssst fine.  We ate an embarrassing amount of this delight this morning.  Plus fruit, though, so it was kind of a wash.  So easy and so good.  This is going to be a staple for holidays and brunches.  It's almost worth making just for the way it will make your house smell.  Crowdpleaser for sure.  


I'm not sure why it needs to sit overnight; maybe that will be my next experiment.  Anyway, I had plenty of time to bake this morning seeing as my day began at 5:45 a.m. when I woke up to both the infernal birds in the aviary that is our yard AND a thunderstorm.  Both.  My morning greeting to my beloved was, "Are you effing kidding me?  I can take the birds or the rain but not both."  His response?  "KarDASHian."

No comments:

Post a Comment