Thursday, April 19, 2012

Greek Quinoa Salad and Why My Sister Hates Me

I love my sister.  I feel like for the most part the feeling is mutual, except when she asks me to send her a recipe.  Then she doesn't love me so much.  Typically I'll start with something like, "Saute a bunch of chicken and add a ton of chopped greens with broth."

She then has the audacity to ask questions such as:
1) What kind of pan do you use?
2) What cut of chicken do you buy?
3) How do you prepare said cut of chicken?
4) Do I need oil or butter to saute?
5) DAMNIT, OIL OR BUTTER?
6) What kind of greens?
7) Size of the chop?
8) Type and amount of broth?
9) WTF, Leah?

I cook by luck; she cooks by recipe.  We are at odds.

I made one of my summer favorites last weekend and thought of my sister as I tried to quantify the ingredients here.  I tried my best; add more of what you like to make it to your taste (best disclaimer ever for hating my recipe).

Greek Quinoa Salad (serves 6 easily)

1 cup uncooked quinoa, prepared according to directions - yielding approx. 2 cups
1/2 to 3/4 pint cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 mini cucumbers or 1/2 English cucumber, quartered and diced
1/4 cup chopped red onion, or to taste
1/3 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives (be sure to buy the pitted ones to save you the trouble.)
1/3 - 1/2 cup crumbled Feta cheese
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
salt and pepper, as needed
olive oil, as needed (good for refreshing if it's been in the refrigerator for a while)

Chopped veg.

Altogether now.

Dinner is served.  With yogurt-marinated chicken served on spinach for fabulous color.  Seriously, even if you don't eat the spinach it always looks good.  Put it on the plate.

Quinoa was a new thing for me about a year and a half ago.  Apparently I was a 'late adopter' on that one.  I brought this salad to the boys' new school's welcome back picnic last August and it was gone by the time we'd been through the potluck line.  That's not a brag; my serving spoon was gone, too.  

Costco has proven to be the most cost-effective place by far to buy my friend quinoa, but you will be buying quinoa for a platoon.  Trader Joe's is second.  If you buy the little packages as the grocer, it will be hugely expensive.  At that point, just go with couscous.  Sorry, Sis, to add that variable to the 'recipe.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment