Sunday, April 22, 2012

B.L.A.T. / B.L. Sandwich Night

I am a firm believer that sandwiches taste better if somebody else makes them for you.  Salads too.  So tonight I totally scored when Carter said he'd make dinner and we would be having BLTs and salad for the family affair.  The man knows his way with bacon, and we happened to have some good Zingerman's bread and some decent Campari tomatoes.  Game on.  He also made basil mayonnaise, which earned him extra points.  

Carter developed allergies and went dairy-free in college.  It was a rough start for us as I am dairy-land proud.  Cheese and eggs?  I would rather do without beer, and that's saying something (notice I didn't say Vodka).  Trader Joe's to the rescue once again.  They make a Vegan mayonnaise that's really, really good.  
Hello, lovely.

With this discovery, things like tuna salad and BLTs were once again in our repertoire.  Yee-haw.   I read a blog called "Everybody Loves Sandwiches" and I fully concur. 

Basil mayonnaise, which (for us) is just a good scoop of T.J.s mayo with about a tablespoon of chopped basil and some salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice stirred in, adds really good flavor to all things sandwiched between bread.  

BLAT (Bacon, lettuce, avocado, tomato).

The sandwiches were delicious.  I had mine open-faced which meant I got twice the bacon with half the bread.  At least in my mind that's what it meant.  

The boys had BLs.  They are really pretty good eaters but they're funny about tomatoes.  As in they won't touch them with a ten foot pole.  Except when they eat tomato soup, which I call "vampire soup".  They love it.  Shhhh.  And avocado?  If it were to appear on their plates you'd think we'd served them a platter of strychnine.  But they love their guacamole in tacos.  Shhhh again.  We will tell them in due time.  Like when we drop them off at college (or trade school as the trend indicates).  Are there residential trade schools?  I sure hope so.  


2 comments:

  1. Okay, how come I just figured out that you had a blog? This was hilarious. I'll back read now... BTW, loved the tip on the basil mayo. Will try.
    And while I appreciate the tip on the TJ mayo, Hellmann's or nothing for me and thanking god no dairy allergies... BLTs in the Creed family included Hellmann's on one side and peanut butter on the other. Don't knock it till you try it. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie! I love you but I can't imagine a Hellmann's - peanut butter BLT. I'll not knock it until I try it, however...

      Delete