Monday, April 9, 2012

Lox-y and The Crazy's the Best Part About Her.

I love Easter.  Although to me it's less "The Lord is Risen," and more, "Yay, Spring is here. Let's celebrate and eat."

Growing up largely in Minnesota, Easter was always a sad display of little girls with their pretty new Easter dresses covered up with parkas and snow boots. Such is life in the Midwest, I suppose.  However as this year had been so awesomely warm we threw caution to the wind and made the announcement: Egg Hunt at our house Easter Morn'.

Then came the big question: what to serve?  I wanted something that could be made ahead so that I could participate in the festivities.  I thought Egg Bake, but then it needs to be kept warm and could dry out.  Nyet.  Then my most favorite breakfast came to mind: Bagels and lox.  Add a bowl of fruit and you've got yourself a tasty nutritious breakfast (put your toaster on the buffet and let everyone toast as they go) with absolutely zero work required of you.  Perfection.

Are you allowed to call it Lox if you're not Swedish or work at Ikea?  Cured salmon, then.  Whatever.  It's easy and good.  The only thing it requires is time.  I've been liking the dill and chive/scallion combo.    I've also done lemon zest and chives for hors d'oeuvres.  Nice with Champagne.  A.K.A. sparkling wine (I think that whole Champagne thing is pretentious.  Suck it, France.)

Lox
1 (1lb.) salmon filet
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Kosher salt
1/2 cup chopped dill
1/4 cup chopped green onions
3 tablespoons chopped chives

Combine salt and sugar.  Combine herbs separately.  Layer as follows:

Greens

Place a layer of plastic wrap on a plate.  Put about 1/3 of salt and sugar mix on the plate.  Follow with a layer of herbs and a piece of salmon.  Repeat layers.  

Wrap it up.
Tidy little package.

Place the wrapped fish in a bowl with a plate on top and weigh down.  Let sit in the refrigerator for 48 hours.  That's two days.  I did three days this time and it was salt-o-riffic.  Two days is good.

Unwrapped and pre-rinsed.

Rinsed under cold water until you can't rinse anymore.

Thinly sliced and pretty.

Accoutrements.  Plus Capers.  

We split the bagel order so there was something for everyone.  Blueberry for the sweet lovers, plain for those who swing both ways, and everything bagels for the salty salts like myself.  Everyone was happy.  Especially because my Muslim friend came to her first egg hunt and brought about the best and lightest coffee cake I've ever had.  It was gone by the time all the eggs were found.  Winner recipe to be posted soonest.  

For once, nature agreed and the clouds we awoke to quickly dissipated.  Easter was gorgeous.

Carter explaining the rules of the hunt (priceless).

Whoo hooo!

Happy campers.

As we were rushing to get the boys bathed and in bed at a suitable hour last night I overheard the following:

- "...But that's what Mom said..."
- "Yes but Mom's crazy."
- "I know that.  The Crazy's the best part about her."

They had no idea I was listening and they said that the Crazy was the best part about me. Can't beat it.  Happy Easter,  Happy Spring.
The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment