Saturday, June 2, 2012

Roasted Potato, Corn and Tomato Salad, a.k.a. Leah Fantasia Supreme

One summer in high school I worked at a little sandwich shop.  It was owned by a vaguely shady Portuguese man and, looking back, was probably some kind of shell operation or front for illegal goings-on.  Part of why I think that is because he gave me, as a 16 or 17 year old kid, an inordinate amount of responsibility. And also he didn't seem to care in the least whether or not the shop turned a profit, which now seems strange. I had keys to the place and often opened or closed by myself.  He let me name the sandwiches and even make new ones to put on the menu.  The shop was down the street from a restaurant called the Canadian Honker so I made a sandwich and called it the American Bonker.  Oh the joy it gave me to share a knowing nod when someone got the joke. And what a joke it was! Hilarious knee-slapper, I know.

You know how sometimes you're so familiar with something that you don't realize it's weird?  For example, growing up my family always had tacos with french fries. Not until adulthood when I was telling someone how my mom made the best homemade fries and we had them every taco night did I realize it was strange.  It helped that my friend let me know in no uncertain terms that serving french fries with tacos was bat-shit crazy. It wasn't until I wrote about the American Bonker that I realized what a thoroughly horrid name Canadian Honker is for a restaurant.  Awful.  Even if there were a lot of Canadian geese in town, come on.

There was a hair salon in Chicago called Blood, Sweat and Shears which might surpass Canadian Honker in the Hall of Bad Business Names, but not by much.  Note to those naming a business: don't include the words blood, sweat or honker.  Now, I'm no M.B.A. but I'm guessing there's a course covering that little kernel of truth.  However, the Hairport, if located anywhere near an airport, is a totally acceptable name for a salon.

Anyway, I was drinking an Arnie Palmer (the finest of summertime drinks) one day when the owner came in and asked what I was drinking.  I told him it was iced tea and lemonade and offered a taste.  He was a fan and asked what it was called.  Because I was 16 or 17 I told him it was called the Leah Fantasia Supreme.  He had me put it on the menu.  Customers would say, "Isn't that just an Arnold Palmer?" and I would reply "not here."

So last week I was making beef kabobs with yogurt herb sauce and needed a side dish.  I roasted some potatoes and tomatoes, cut some corn off the cob and tossed it with a bunch of basil and a super light and lemony vinaigrette.  It turned out pretty good.  A keepah as they would say in Rhode Island. Carter's dad was over and asked what the dish was called.  Roasted potato, corn, tomato and basil salad was a bit mundane so I reincarnated the Leah Fantasia Supreme.  My stories are rich in meaning.

Potatoes (that remained after I snacked) and corn.

Done.


Roasted Potato, Corn and Tomato Salad (for six)

3 ears of corn, cooked and cut off the cob
1 lb. chopped (about 3/4") red potatoes
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1/2 cup basil leaves, chopped

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
salt and pepper

Coat a sheet pan with a little olive oil and roast the tomatoes in a 250-degree oven for 2-3 hours.  Yes it's a long time, but they are so much better when cooked slowly.  And lowly.

Put roasted tomatoes in a bowl and use the same sheet pan, coated anew with oil if needed, and add the potatoes.  Increase oven temperature to 350 and roast tomatoes until crisp and browned, about 30-40 minutes.

Combine oil, vinegar, lemon juice and salt and pepper.  Place roasted potatoes and corn in a serving bowl, add basil and vinaigrette, stir to combine.  Add tomatoes last because they're fragile little creatures (just like me) and gently incorporate.

I'll be making this salad all summer.  Which officially begins for us at noon on Friday.  GACK.  No, it will be fun...it will be fun...it will be fun...

 
I have yet to kill my gardenia topiaries.  Calling CNN right now.  The end.  



No comments:

Post a Comment