Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The days are long...but at least there's Tahini, Lemon and Dill Dressing

Since the boys arrived on the scene one of the phrases I think of most often is, "The days are long; the years are short."  Well these days of intense heat and drought and "whatcanwedoooooo?' have been really really very extremely long.  They're refusing all offers to go to camp.  Any camp.  Swimming and tennis lessons are over.  I looked at my watch yesterday thinking SURELY it was dinner time...it was 3:30 p.m.  Even here at del Boca Vista, that's a bit early.  

I was needing an activity last week when the temperature was around 100 degrees and the pool would've been miserably crowded.  Plus I would come into contact with at least one stray band-aid.  There's little that grosses me out more than stray band-aids.  (We just got Angry Birds band-aids and the incidence of band-aid needing injuries spiked 165% 'round these parts.)

Anyway, inspiration struck and here's what H. occupied himself with for a almost an hour.  


Look at that smile!  He was thrilled.  It was totally not like the time I asked them if they wanted to go someplace really special and fun (the zoo) and D. got really excited and asked, "Like TARGET?"  That was kind of sad.  But H. loves vacuuming.  Asks to do it all the time.  It's all I can do do muzzle an exuberant, "YESSSS!" when he asks.  Now for the other 13 hours to fill...

Beets from the garden.

I've been occupying myself with these gorgeous beets from my garden.  If I were to write like I spoke, the above caption would read, "BEEEEETS FROM MYYYY GARDEN!!!!!!!!!!" As though I invented the damn things.  Carter learned his lesson about my profound and perhaps disproportionate excitement at what the garden has produced on his birthday.  The timing was maybe unfortunate but I took the first perfectly ripe cherry tomato, hid it behind my back and said, "I've got a very exciting surprise for you!"  Turns out we have differing descriptions of "very exciting."  And also "surprise." To his credit, he recovered quickly and pretended to love that birthday tomato as much as I loved presenting it to him.   

This evening's dinner - for me - was a roasted beet and spinach salad with toasted walnuts and goat cheese.  Not much of a goat cheese fan, except when it's paired with beets.  It was really good and made even better by my new obsession: Tahini, Lemon and Dill dressing.

Tahini, Lemon and Dill Salad Dressing

1/4 C. Tahini
1/4 C. water 
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped dill
1 tablespoon chopped chives
2 teaspoons sugar or honey
Salt and pepper to taste

Is there a fair around here where I can enter these beauties?  Feeling new-gardener confidence...

Dinner for the boys (they had their new favorite and super easy pasta which I will share at some point, probably when school starts) and myself was finished and cleaned up by six o'clock.  This summer I am one giant white visor away from retirement.  Del Boca Vista indeed.  

No comments:

Post a Comment