Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Watermelon, Feta and Cilantro Salad. Plus how I feel about birds.

A few years back my friend Heather sent me a "recipe" for a salad she raved about.  I was dubious.  Her concoction:  Throw a bunch of chopped seedless watermelon into a big bowl with a handful of chopped cilantro, about the same amount of Feta, some chopped red onion and a big squeeze of lime.  

Ah, yes, that's why we're friends.  As she'd never steered me wrong, I gave it a whirl and it was great.  I'd forgotten about it completely until I found myself last weekend with a big watermelon and a need for a side dish.  

Every so often we let the boys take turns in planning our meals for the day.  It's usually a Sunday and we usually let them only pick the main course for dinner.  Because one can have only so many pancakes in a 24-hour period.  So last Sunday was D.'s turn and he wanted ribs.  I looked at Carter suspiciously then I looked at D. and asked if anyone had influenced him in his decision.  Maybe I should've been a detective?  I mean, perhaps I've been watching too much True Crime, but I think I nailed that interrogation.  Anyway, he claimed he had arrived at the decision by himself.  So I made ribs.  And cornbread muffins.  And corn on the cob.  I needed to round out the meal with something light and lively so I rethought Heather's salad.  Something light and tinged with citrus to go with the heavy ribs and buttery corn?  Perfect.  


Watermelon, Feta and Cilantro Salad (for 6 as a side dish)

5 cups cubed seedless watermelon
1/3 cup finely crumbled Feta
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup chopped red onion
1/2 lime, juiced (add lime zest for more flavor)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in a bowl, give a good stir and refrigerate until serving.  

Reviews
Carter:  "I didn't think I'd like this but I really do."  When I reminded him that was almost exactly the same thing he said when I'd served it three years ago he replied, "Well there you go.  Do I need to be worried about 2015?"

D: "What is that white stuff?"  When I replied: "salty cheese," he was good.   

H: "May I please have another rib instead?"  As he asked politely, we indulged and just gave him a wedge of plain watermelon.

So our family dinners go much more smoothly more than one of us has a hand in planning it.  This one was great.  It was a beautiful evening, we ate outside on our deck.  The jr. eaters were enthusiastic and the talk was lively and not just us telling them to (pick one) chew with their mouths shut, keep their voices below screeching level, elbows off the table, don't say pee/poop/butt at the dinner table, etc.  

What was most annoying at this dinner?  THE BIRDS.  They were so loud in general and we have some mourning doves who are tearing up our deck furniture cushions, ostensibly to build their nests also on our property and to further terrorize us.  They scare me because I think they're going to go after my hair as a nesting material.  Honestly if I were a bird, I probably would.  My hair, while not that attractive as hair, would make a kick-ass bird's nest.  

These are the same birds that have prevented me from hanging baskets on our front porch because they build nests in the baskets and get super territorial when baby hellion mourning doves are concerned.  I do not care for birds.  Especially the pigeon-rat variety of birds.  

Our township had an item on it's voting ballot to allow homeowners to shoot mourning doves as they do game birds.  I voted yes.  Needless to say, it didn't pass.  

I hear you, Betty. (Shooting her neighbor's homing pigeons, one of my favorite moments in television.)

The end.  XOX.


No comments:

Post a Comment